On October 3, 2022, defenders of Azovstal were released from Russian captivity. However, they were sent to Turkey, not to Ukraine, to ensure their and their families safety.
After negotiations with the Turkish side, these 5 heroes returned home to Ukraine today:
- commander of a special unit of the National Guard "Azov" Hero of Ukraine Denys Prokopenko (Volyna);
- deputy commander Svyatoslav Palamar (Kalyna);
- Acting Commander of the 36th Separate Brigade of Marines Serhii Volynskyi;
- senior officer of Oleh Khomenko;
- the commander of the 12th brigade of the National Guard, Denys Shlega.
Glory to Ukraine. Glory to Heroes