This announcement came during his address on the Day of Unity.
Highlights of the Announcement:
- Target Audience: The law primarily aims to embrace the vast Ukrainian diaspora and lobbyists globally who actively support Ukraine. It's designed for those who identify with their Ukrainian heritage and advocate for the country's interests worldwide.
- Diaspora Inclusion: This legislative move seeks to offer Ukrainian citizenship to ethnic Ukrainians and their descendants globally, barring citizens of the aggressor country (implicitly referring to Russia).
- Emphasis on Global Ukrainians: The bill acknowledges Ukrainians who were part of various emigration waves, living in Europe, the USA, Canada, Asia, and Latin America, and who continue to support Ukraine from afar.
- Recognition of Foreign Volunteers: Foreign volunteers fighting for Ukraine's freedom are also included in this initiative, recognizing their efforts and sacrifices for Ukraine.
- Concept of a United Ukraine: Zelensky's message underscores the idea of a "Great, cathedral, united Ukraine," extending beyond geographical boundaries to include all who identify with and support the Ukrainian cause.
President Zelensky’s proposed law on multiple citizenship aims to strengthen the bonds between Ukraine and its global community, recognizing and formalizing the contributions of Ukrainians and supporters worldwide. This move signifies an inclusive approach to nationhood, acknowledging the diverse and global nature of the Ukrainian identity.