On April 11, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine in the first reading approved the bill, the purpose of which is to reform the customs service of Ukraine. First of all, it is necessary to solve the problems of corruption and unprofessionalism. How do the authors of the bill plan to change this.
- Changing the selection scheme for the head of the customs service. The cabinet of ministers of Ukraine will form a competition commission of 9 people, 5 of which will be appointed on the recommendations of "international organisations". Which exactly organisations is not yet known. Further, the prime minister of Ukraine will put to the vote of the cabinet of ministers of Ukraine the only person who has passed the selection of the commission;
- Every year, each customs service will undergo an external performance audit. In case of an unsatisfactory result, the head of customs will be removed from office;
- After the appointment of a new head of the customs office, all employees will be re-certified. Persons who do not recertify will be removed from office;
- The cabinet of ministers no longer has the right to arbitrarily dismiss employees and is also exempted from the obligation to approve the appointment/dismissal of middle-level employees;
- Increasing salaries for customs officers. The authors of the bill apparently believe that the root of corruption is precisely the current amount of wages.
The bill was sent to the second reading.